[ubuntu-us-mi] Penguicon planning
Wolfger
2008-05-20 12:58:20 UTC
They are already soliciting ideas for panels for next year. I had an
idea for which I need some panelists:
How to Stand on the Shoulders of Giants
Building applications efficiently by using (and re-using) existing
code and APIs.

I currently don't have much to say on this myself, but hopefully by
next year I will, since I am working on a project (Tweek) which is
being built upon multiple other applications (twyt, pysqlite, sqlite).
In fact, I'd enjoy talking to some prospective panelists so that I
don't have to learn the best way to go about this from scratch. ;-)
--
Wolfger
http://wolfger.wordpress.com/

My 5 today: #78273 (qgis), #184496 (casper), #126181 (empathy),
#193798 (hal), #130644 (ttf-dejavu)
Do 5 a day - every day! https://wiki.ubuntu.com/5-A-Day
t jagoda
2008-05-20 13:39:31 UTC
The Head of Tech Programming (read: Me) thinks this is a good idea.

If you want to qualify for the $10 panelist discount, you'll need to write a
1,000 or so word white paper on what you want to talk about.
Panelists/Presenters who dont feel like writing a paper giving insight to
their panel/talk will get the full-rate charge this year. We changed the
rules this year, because people abused the
three-panel-then-you-get-a-discount policy by just not showing up and/or by
putting themselves on panels /just/ to get the discount, and then doing a
crappy job on them.
Post by Wolfger
They are already soliciting ideas for panels for next year. I had an
How to Stand on the Shoulders of Giants
Building applications efficiently by using (and re-using) existing
code and APIs.
I currently don't have much to say on this myself, but hopefully by
next year I will, since I am working on a project (Tweek) which is
being built upon multiple other applications (twyt, pysqlite, sqlite).
In fact, I'd enjoy talking to some prospective panelists so that I
don't have to learn the best way to go about this from scratch. ;-)
--
Wolfger
http://wolfger.wordpress.com/
My 5 today: #78273 (qgis), #184496 (casper), #126181 (empathy),
#193798 (hal), #130644 (ttf-dejavu)
Do 5 a day - every day! https://wiki.ubuntu.com/5-A-Day
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
Post by Wolfger
They are already soliciting ideas for panels for next year. I had an
How to Stand on the Shoulders of Giants
Building applications efficiently by using (and re-using) existing
code and APIs.
I currently don't have much to say on this myself, but hopefully by
next year I will, since I am working on a project (Tweek) which is
being built upon multiple other applications (twyt, pysqlite, sqlite).
In fact, I'd enjoy talking to some prospective panelists so that I
don't have to learn the best way to go about this from scratch. ;-)
Cool idea. PC is a long way away to commit to anything right now but
I'll try to keep this in mind.

One hint I've learned that might help you out, is to make sure you build
an interface layer between your code and the giant's shoulders you're
standing upon. This helps in case down the road you want to hop onto a
new/better giant. Perhaps he runs a bit faster or something.

This way you can rework the middle interface layer, and not have to
fudge into a ton of files/code.

Rick
Wolfger
2008-05-20 15:14:31 UTC
To expand a bit, I'd like to see technical advice on this panel for
sure (such as the tip provided here), and anecdotes as we can come by
them (to keep it being too dry), and I'd really like if someone had
some knowledge of different FOSS licenses (Apache, Perl, GPLv2, GPLv3,
etc) and what advantages/hurdles each might present to the prospective
giant-climber. And anything else I maybe hadn't thought of yet.

Craig Maloney
2008-05-20 15:15:39 UTC
On Tue, 20 May 2008 11:06:56 -0400, Rick Harding <rharding at mitechie.com>
wrote:

Rick, Wolfger, if you're looking for other hands to make a light load, let
me know. I'm interested in participating or being a panelist, whichever you
choose.
Craig Maloney (craig at decafbad.net) http://decafbad.net
Work Hard. Rock Hard. Eat Hard. Sleep Hard. Grow Big.
Wear Glasses If You Need 'Em. -- The Webb Wilder Credo