[ubuntu-us-mi] screencasting Ubuntu
Robert Citek
2009-02-09 19:22:31 UTC
Has anyone tried screencasting with Ubuntu Linux?

gtk-recordmydesktop works pretty well, but only encodes into ogg
theora, not mpeg nor avi. Haven't found a way to edit oggs, yet.

xvidcap is pretty buggy: 6% success rate. I don't know what that
means other than a 30 second screen capture lasts only a couple of
seconds.

Any pointers or recommendations gladly accepted.

Regards,
- Robert
Wolfger
2009-02-09 19:32:26 UTC
I have had good luck with it in the past, but I can't recall the name
of the package. It is not either of these. It may not be an official
Ubuntu package. I don't recall. Sorry. If I can remember it later,
I'll let you know.
http://wolfger.wordpress.com/
http://twitter.com/wolfger
http://identi.ca/wolfger

The world is a mess, and I just... need to rule it.
Greg Grossmeier
2009-02-09 21:14:50 UTC
I would recommend istanbul (http://live.gnome.org/Istanbul). But, it
also is a "ogg only" application (which I will guess is probably the
case for most linux apps, patents/licenses and all that). Luckily we
have tools that can convert ogg video to any number of other formats.

greg
Robert Citek
2009-02-09 21:34:45 UTC
What do you recommend for editing ogg theora?

I tried ogg to avi, edit, then back to ogg. It worked, but not very nice.

Regards,
- Robert

Greg Grossmeier

Robert Citek
2009-02-09 23:35:08 UTC
avidemux, but it doesn't do ogg theora. So I have to convert it first
from ogg to avi using ffmpeg, and that results in a poor quality
video.

Regards,
- Robert

has some ideas.
Tony Bemus
2009-02-10 11:55:46 UTC
I use Kino to edit my videos, from what I have read Kino doesn't
import them so they used a line to convert them then open it in Kino.

This is what I have found:

ffmpeg -i inputmovie.ogg -target ntsc-dv output.dv

Tony
has some ideas.
Robert Citek
2009-02-10 17:20:25 UTC
Thanks, Tony. Lots of good info in that thread. Cinelerra, Kino, Blender.

What have folks here tried?

When I went from ogg to avi and back to ogg using ffmpeg, the quality
suffered tremendously. What was your experience with converting it
from ogg to dv?

BTW, I'm using Ubuntu 8.04.

Regards,
- Robert
Tony
Scott Moser
2009-02-10 17:44:28 UTC
Post by Robert Citek
Thanks, Tony. Lots of good info in that thread. Cinelerra, Kino, Blender.
What have folks here tried?
When I went from ogg to avi and back to ogg using ffmpeg, the quality
suffered tremendously. What was your experience with converting it
from ogg to dv?
BTW, I'm using Ubuntu 8.04.
all video compression is lossy (like jpeg rather than png or "raw").
the more advanced video codecs (mp4, ogg) gain their small size and high
playback quality with lots of tricks that largely come at the cost of
editing.

I would guess that it is possible to do "in place" ogg or "mp4" editing,
but I'm not aware of any software that does it. Even then, you'd get
lossy re-compression on at least parts of the frames that you modified.
Outside of that you're going to be stuck with converting to a more
edit-friendly format. mjpeg and dv formats end up with much larger
files that are more easily editable... mjpeg is essentially a jpeg for
each frame.

"Non-lossy" editing tools do exist for compressed audio
(http://freshmeat.net/projects/mpgedit/ is one)

The key for video editing is:
- do your edits/saves "all at once", such that you only suffer one lossy
to lossy conversion. I know in my very limited experience with kino
that it is quite easy to "save" multiple times, which end up doing lossy
saves each time and thus more data gone.

- make sure that your conversion from ogg/mp4 -> editable-format is done
a the highest quality. Ie, if the video is 640x480 native resolution,
you dont want to convert it to 320x240 mjpeg and then edit.

If you do everything well, the lossy->lossy conversion wont be *that*,
possibly not even noticeable. But, you're never going to get the same
quality as the source.
Wolfger
2009-02-10 16:33:23 UTC
On Mon, Feb 9, 2009 at 4:14 PM, Greg Grossmeier
Post by Greg Grossmeier
I would recommend istanbul (http://live.gnome.org/Istanbul).
That's it! That's the one I used. :-)

Robert Citek
2009-02-11 03:28:51 UTC
Tried istanbul. And it's less than ideal, even in ogg format:

http://groups.google.com/group/cwelug/web/istanbul.ogg

Is it possible I've just got some funky hardware that every video tool
I try "Just Does Not Work(TM)"?

Robert Citek
2009-02-13 02:42:13 UTC
Got istanbul to work:

1) Installed istanbul
$ sudo apt-get install istanbul

2) started istanbul
Applications > Sound & Video > Istanbul ...

3) right-clicked on the red dot in the system tray for menu and
checked "Record 3D"

4) clicked on the red dot to start recording

5) opened up some apps and moved windows around

6) clicked on the red dot to stop recording and save the capture to an ogg file

7) converted ogg to avi using mencoder; the avi looked great
$ mencoder -idx input.ogg -vf scale=640:480 -ovc lavc -oac mp3lame -o output.avi

8) used Avidemux to trim the ends
Applications > Sound & Video > Avidemux

Regards,
- Robert