[ubuntu-us-mi] Ubuntu lucid sendmail test
Robert Citek
2010-04-27 19:18:12 UTC
I'm testing sendmail on Lucid and I'm not getting the output that I expect.

I did a plain default sendmail install and am now testing it using
these instructions:

http://www.tldp.org/LDP/nag2/x15583.html

According to those pages, when I type this:

# /usr/sbin/sendmail -bt

sendmail is supposed to output this:

ADDRESS TEST MODE (ruleset 3 NOT automatically invoked)
Enter <ruleset> <address>
Instead, sendmail doesn't output anything. It's as though I had typed
'cat'. Sendmail just sits there.

What am I missing? Is the documentation not in sync with sendmail? I
sendmail not configured correctly? Does the version of sendmail in
Lucid have a bug? Something else?

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

Regards,
- Robert
Robert Citek
2010-04-27 20:48:18 UTC
What am I missing? ?Is the documentation not in sync with sendmail? ?I
sendmail not configured correctly? ?Does the version of sendmail in
Lucid have a bug? ?Something else?
For comparison, I ran the same setup and command on a CentOS 5.4
installation and sendmail worked as expected.

Specifically, The session looked something like this:

# yum install sendmail
# sendmail -bt
- Robert
Steve Romanow
Did you ping the folks at #ubuntu-server? Might be able to reach a dev.
David F
2010-04-27 21:35:55 UTC
Post by Robert Citek
I'm testing sendmail on Lucid and I'm not getting the output that I expect.
I did a plain default sendmail install
I know that you said that you did a "plain default sendmail install,"
but just in case, you might want to make sure that you really are
running sendmail, because other packages (postfix at least, maybe exim,
courier, other MTAs) provide a sendmail executable for compatibility,
but it wouldn't typically behave _exactly_ like a real sendmail and
probably wouldn't support -bt at all. Just in case, you could try "dpkg
--list sendmail-bin"

-- David F.