[ubuntu-us-mi] New to the list
Bruce Graham
2010-10-21 20:08:14 UTC
I've been using Ubuntu for about 10 months. Shortly after firing up the
machine which came with 9.04 I tried to upgrade to 9.10 and broke the
sound card. Now that 10.10 is out I'd like to try the upgrade again but
I want to try and do it in a reversible way in case the problem with the
sound card is still not fixed. Alternatively since I am a software
developer, maybe with a little help I could find an fix the problem
myself. Any takers?

Bruce
Aaron VanSledright
2010-10-21 20:10:37 UTC
the best way i found to upgrade is to backup your home folder to an
alternate location or do a setup with root /home and /swap all on separate
partitions. and then just do a full install. By saving your home directory
you keep all of your settings for all your programs
Post by Bruce Graham
I've been using Ubuntu for about 10 months. Shortly after firing up the
machine which came with 9.04 I tried to upgrade to 9.10 and broke the
sound card. Now that 10.10 is out I'd like to try the upgrade again but
I want to try and do it in a reversible way in case the problem with the
sound card is still not fixed. Alternatively since I am a software
developer, maybe with a little help I could find an fix the problem
myself. Any takers?
Bruce
Aaron VanSledright
Manager - Chicago Typewriter
616.648.3015
http://www.chicagotypewriterrock.com
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
I'm new to the list myself (hi, folks) ... been using Linux since late
'98 and Ubuntu since ... um ... I forget; three or four years now. New
to Michigan, though; we moved to southwest Michigan in June.

I've always favored doing a fresh install to a new disk. I leave the
old disk in the machine and copy things to the new disk as I need them.
The problem I've found with keeping the home directory is that
sometimes your settings aren't the optimal ones for new versions of the
programs you use; of course that's fixable after the fact if you realize
what the problem is. Copying stuff as I need it helps with
housekeeping, too. Eventually I'll take out the old drive and put it
away for a long term archive.

However, if you do go ahead and upgrade and something breaks, I'm sure
you can find help to fix it. There's a ton of community resources
available, and most people really want to help.

-- Julia
Scott Moser
2010-10-21 20:16:32 UTC
Post by Bruce Graham
I've been using Ubuntu for about 10 months. Shortly after firing up the
machine which came with 9.04 I tried to upgrade to 9.10 and broke the
sound card. Now that 10.10 is out I'd like to try the upgrade again but
I want to try and do it in a reversible way in case the problem with the
sound card is still not fixed. Alternatively since I am a software
Well, plug in a install USB key or live-cd. They're "live". You'll be
running the same kernel and modules and software stack (minus updates)
that you'd be running after you install.

If it works on the live cd, it [should] work on the installed system.
gib
2010-10-21 20:42:38 UTC
Another option is to install VirtualBox.com. Then you can load up as many operating systems as you want.

We have a video:

http://gibby.servehttp.com/
click on:

A smaller video of the Virtualbox presentation that works better

Mortgage Rates Hit 3.25%
If you owe under $729k you probably qualify for Gov't Refi Programs
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/4cc0a5ffd340238a7f2st06vuc
gib
2010-10-22 00:53:51 UTC
Sometimes people bring in problems to our monthly meeting. See http://www.mdlug.org for details. Sometime we fix it and sometimes we break it.

Moms Asked to Return to School
Grant Funding May Be Available to Those That Qualify.
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/4cc0e0cf2fac64172ccst01vuc