[Michigan-LoCo] Meeting Recap (again)
Greg Grossmeier
2007-08-24 02:55:27 UTC
(sorry, space doesn't alway just make a space)

First of all, thanks to everyone who showed up, all 13 of us. And Jeff,
next time we meet, I am buying you a beer for driving the furthest distance
for the meeting.

For those that are interested, I made a meeting page on the wiki:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MichiganTeam/Meetings

The main thing it has is the agenda that I made up an hour before the
meeting. The most important part of the agenda was "Ideas for what we can
do"

I will try to flesh out some of the ideas more, specifically the Computer
Donation idea. It seemed like a lot of people were interested in helping.
I'll keep you posted.

Most of the other ideas were more just community building type stuff.
Having a BBQ, InstallFests, Release Parties, etc. Those we can more easily
implement.

One thing that came up was doing Ubuntu-focused tech-talks. These would be
How-tos, or show casing a new technology, or what have you. Having the
meetings in a place where we could do presentations would be helpful.

If there was another idea that was discussed that I missed or have
forgotten, please share it here or on the wiki. And also please feel free
to edit the wiki. If you want to make a page describing one of your ideas
for the group to work on, go for it. Make a link to it from the main
MichiganTeam page. And if you want to just make the page look a little more
"sexy" by all means, please do.

For those that were unable to make it, I am going to write up a more clear
and concise piece about everything that was discussed and brought up.

For everyone, please watch the wiki page (
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MichiganTeam ) for updates; I will be posting our
ideas there mainly. Feel free to discuss them here, but I really like
having a page that we can reference.

Thanks again to everyone!

greg
--
If you take a step towards Freedom, It'll take two steps towards you.
-------------- next part --------------
Post by Greg Grossmeier
[...]
I figured I'd jump in with some notes. I wanted to provide links for the
things I talked about. First up, pics!!

What would be great would be to get these labeled with some names if
anyone wants to.

As for meeting notes I wanted to link to the Ohio Linuxfest conference.
http://ohiolinux.org/

Sign up and meet us down there.

I also wanted to plug the LUG, Michigan User Group (MUG).
http://www.mug.org

Out next meeting is sept. 11th. We'll be talking with* Michael K.
Johnson and Ken VanDine from rpath at http://rpath.com. ***

Thanks again for everyone coming out. Hope it was a good time.

Rick
Wolfger
2007-08-24 15:07:29 UTC
First off, let me voice my opinion on the list:
I think it's very annoying that the default reply to any list mail is
to the sender, *not* the list. It's a hindrance to group
communications IMO.
Post by Rick Harding
I figured I'd jump in with some notes. I wanted to provide links for the
things I talked about. First up, pics!!
Thanks for taking pics. Who's the browncoat in pic 1?
Post by Rick Harding
Out next meeting is sept. 11th. We'll be talking with* Michael K.
Johnson and Ken VanDine from rpath at http://rpath.com. ***
Is it in Plymouth again, or are we going to mix up the locations a
bit? I had mentioned Rochester Mills as an alternative, though I don't
know if they have wifi, but I know they brew good beer. :-) I can't
access their site from work, but I'll post the URL:
http://www.rochestermillsbeerco.com
Post by Rick Harding
Thanks again for everyone coming out. Hope it was a good time.
Sorry I missed it!
--
Wolfger
http://wolfger.wordpress.com/
Ekiga: wolfger
Rick Harding
2007-08-24 15:25:24 UTC
Post by Wolfger
Post by Rick Harding
Out next meeting is sept. 11th. We'll be talking with* Michael K.
Johnson and Ken VanDine from rpath at http://rpath.com. ***
Is it in Plymouth again, or are we going to mix up the locations a
bit? I had mentioned Rochester Mills as an alternative, though I don't
know if they have wifi, but I know they brew good beer. :-) I can't
http://www.rochestermillsbeerco.com
Just an FYI, that is the next MUG (Michigan User Group) Meeting not the Loco meeting. Sorry for the confusion.

Rick
Everett
2007-08-24 17:04:53 UTC
Post by Wolfger
I think it's very annoying that the default reply to any list mail is
to the sender, *not* the list. It's a hindrance to group
communications IMO.
It's annoying I agree. Greg will have to see if there is something we can do
about that, but for now at least we have a way to communicate with the
group.
Post by Rick Harding
Johnson and Ken VanDine from rpath at http://rpath.com. ***
Is it in Plymouth again, or are we going to mix up the locations a
bit? I had mentioned Rochester Mills as an alternative, though I don't
know if they have wifi, but I know they brew good beer. :-) I can't
http://www.rochestermillsbeerco.com
The meeting being referred to in Rick's post was a plug for the MUG meeting
which is held in Farmington Hills (I believe). As for the LoCo Team, I
believe the intention was to discuss or next meeting in this mailing list to
determine whether it would be held in IRC or IRL. Any suggestions are
welcome of course.

I know you mentioned the Rochester Mills. Do they have accommodations for
our members that are under 21?

Sorry you couldn't make it to the meeting. I enjoyed meeting everyone last
night.

- Everett
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
Rochester Mills does in fact have free WiFi, as do the Royal Oak and Detroit
locations. Not sure about accommodations for the under 21ers, but they have
lots of space.

I'm Chad btw. Just signed up on the list, but due to the Plymouth location I
couldn't make it this time. Rochester Mills would be much better for me, if
the next one will be during the week.

- Chad

============
Post by Rick Harding
[...]
having an IRC meeting in a couple of weeks, and then a real life meeting a
couple weeks after that. That way we can get more participation/discussion
from the entire group at the IRC meetings, in addition to the fun of real
life meetings.

Is that a good idea? Anyone have any objections to scheduling an IRC
meeting in 2 weeks, probably on a Sunday evening for best availability?

greg
Post by Wolfger
[...]

The webcast idea for the real life meetings would be great, if we went
somewhere that wasn't too loud like last night was.
Post by David Barnett
What about a webcast for those who can't make the drive.
-Dave
of having an IRC meeting in a couple of weeks, and then a real life meeting
Post by Greg Grossmeier
Is that a good idea? Anyone have any objections to scheduling an IRC
meeting in 2 weeks, probably on a Sunday evening for best availability?
I think it's a great idea.