[ubuntu-us-mi] running Ubuntu on Windows from USB stick
Robert Citek
2009-11-06 16:17:40 UTC
Has anyone tried this to run Ubuntu within Windows from a USB stick?

http://www.linuxliveusb.com/

Regards,
- Robert
Jay R. Wren
2009-11-07 18:44:16 UTC
Post by Robert Citek
Has anyone tried this to run Ubuntu within Windows from a USB stick?
http://www.linuxliveusb.com/
Regards,
- Robert
I had not, but I have now. This is very cool software. It even told me
"You only have 1G of ram. That isn't enough for VBox to run." Which I
think is great. I'd much rather that people get a message like that,
than for their first experience with linux to be a slow and painful
performance trainwreck.

Jay
gib
2009-11-08 04:06:39 UTC
Try Dam Small Linux (DSL). I think you can find it on distrowatch.com.

DSL runs from (within/on top/concurrent?) Windows.

Health Insurance Savings
Get affordable Health Insurance - Blue Cross, Aetna, Humana, & More.
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2131/c?cp=0Uk9r8HYOlgVc0KqqU2wjgAAJz2--cgXcJlMV69yYQJtgPtjAAQAAAAFAAAAAJwkVD4AAAMlAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAiWOAAAAAA=
Robert Citek
2009-11-08 14:47:19 UTC
I think the advantage of the livelinuxusb stick is that you can run
any Linux distro on it (not just DSL) and that it uses VirtualBox
(instead of qemu).

I'm curious to know how livlinuxusb stick compares to DSL using qemu.
With VirtualBox, I get near-native performance. In contrast, I've
found qemu to be quite slow, an experience which seems to be
consistent with other users:

http://damnsmalllinux.org/usb-qemu.html

"One note: running DSL inside Qemu will be slow in comparison to using
a CD or direct USB boot."

Regards,
- Robert