[ubuntu-us-mi] ubuntu-us-mi] Penguicon Participation
gib
2010-01-04 14:53:32 UTC
Um, I'm sure we can think of a lot of good ideas. I just wonder if some type of introductory sessions could be provided to educate the non-computer types. Set some specific short sessions that show the artists how to use the Ubuntu applications for drawing/illustrating/video editing. Music groups could learn the audio software too.
Other hobbies that would benefit from Ubuntu? I'm surprised when I see someone buying expensive special interest software. Perhaps we can devise a list of free software that is included in Ubuntu (should already be a list somewhere) that could be distributed at Penguicon.

Diet Help
Cheap Diet Help Tips. Click here.
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2131/c?cp=TalCoLT7jqTt0GuE-CnIGwAAJz2--cgXcJlMV69yYQJtgPtjAAYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYQAAAAAA=
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
As for a beginners classes I have Craig teaching Camp Unix early Saturday
morning in the computer lab, I don't know what topics he plans to talk about
though. There are a few classes I would like to see.

- intro to iptables and firewalls

- Linux and Media - introduce a few media players and their functions, show
how to use a phone and portable media player on linux, talk about media
servers on linux, rtorrent,...

-Linux and your beige box - talk about the cool things you can do on a linux
server with limit speed and memory.

-Linux on embedded devices - WRT54G, NSLU2, NASes. Most of our embedded low
wattage devices in our house already run linux, so how do we exploit them to
their full potential.

-Command line Fu - talk on spec-ing out your linux install's terminal and
some neat functions of the command line, such as all the math you can do
with bc or the famous pi calc to benchmark your cpu.

If you have more ideas let me hear them or if you want to give a talk let me
know.

-Brad
Post by Bradley McMahon
As for a beginners classes I have Craig teaching Camp Unix early
Saturday morning in the computer lab, I don't know what topics he plans
to talk about though.
Camp UNIX is designed to be an into to the UNIX command-line. It's very
basic, with not much application focus. The focus is to get people to
use UNIX (Linux) command-line utilities and get comfortable with them in
a short amount of time.
Craig Maloney (craig at decafbad.net) http://decafbad.net
"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard, grow big,
wear glasses if you need 'em." -- The Webb Wilder Credo
James Ronald
2010-01-04 18:05:30 UTC
- In regard to Linux on embedded devices what about the Beagle Board
and Sheeva Plug which can actually run Ubuntu? The NSLU2 and WRT54G
were cool in their day but not that interesting so many years later.
Oh, and what about OpenOCD?
Bradley McMahon
2010-01-04 18:28:42 UTC
yes the beagle board and sheeva plug are great examples even if they they
are 4 times the price of the WRT54G or NSLU2. I think a talks on AVR/
Arduino, open embedded, open hardware would be awesome as well.

-Brad
Post by Bradley McMahon
their full potential.
-Command line Fu - talk on spec-ing out your linux install's terminal and
some neat functions of the command line, such as all the math you can do
with bc or the famous pi calc to benchmark your cpu.
If you have more ideas let me hear them or if you want to give a talk let
me
Post by Bradley McMahon
know.
-Brad
Post by Bradley McMahon
somewhere) that could be distributed at Penguicon.
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
Cool. I'd suggest we record these and provide them at Penguicon.
Maybe we could have topics like this that we webcast or podcast during Penguicon.

Love Spell
Click here to light up your life with a love spell!
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2131/c?cp=957w3jssFUJFtrPX14QWqwAAJz2--cgXcJlMV69yYQJtgPtjAAYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARwAAAAA=