[ubuntu-us-mi] Western MI meetings?
Marc Zuverink
2010-03-24 15:19:03 UTC
It seems that this group is solely made up of East-Sider members, when
will any meetings be held in Western MI for us West-Siders who can
make East Side meetings. Feeling kinda left out of the community here
on this side of state.... Would like to contibute but lack of
transportation reliable enough to drive 3+ hours makes it a bit
difficult and frustrating.

- --
Marc Zuverink <mzuverink at gmail.com>

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being
overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and
sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the
privilege of owning yourself. - Nietzsche
Steve Romanow
2010-03-24 15:25:15 UTC
I am game for Westside events. Kentwood here!
Matt Michielsen
2010-03-24 16:24:15 UTC
I'd be interested too. I'm in Zeeland.
Post by Steve Romanow
I am game for Westside events. Kentwood here!
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
I would be up for west-side events!

Kentwood for me too!
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
<quoting name="Derek Slenk" date="2010-03-24" time="11:30:07 -0400">
Post by Derek Slenk
I would be up for west-side events!
Kentwood for me too!
Awesome, it looks like there is some interest in a West-side event!
--
| Greg Grossmeier |
| http://grossmeier.net |
Rob Duncan
2010-03-24 22:52:58 UTC
I'm working in the NE Grand Rapids area until August. I'd be happy hear
about a meeting in this area.

--Rob Duncan
Greg Grossmeier
2010-03-24 15:32:21 UTC
<quoting name="Marc Zuverink" date="2010-03-24" time="11:19:03 -0400">
Post by Marc Zuverink
It seems that this group is solely made up of East-Sider members, when
will any meetings be held in Western MI for us West-Siders who can
make East Side meetings.
I think you both answered and asked your question in one sentence.

The group is made up of people who (mostly) live out East because of the
way the state population density is made up. Thank and the big
Universities and the Big 3 (and related companies) for being over here;
they pay many of us geeks to live on the East coast.

With that said, I am, and always have been, in favor of people setting up
meetings out on the west coast of Michigan. I just can't be the person to
help plan it.

Marc, would you like to host a release party for Lucid Lynx? Please do
so. I'll help you advertise it on Planet Ubuntu. Talk it up as an event
to gage interest in further Ubuntu-related events in the area (eg:
bug/packaging jams, etc). Then let's work from there.

Best,

Greg
--
| Greg Grossmeier |
| http://grossmeier.net |
Dan Pilcheck
2010-03-24 17:37:04 UTC
I'd like to toss in my vote for a meet up somewhere on the lil' west coast.

I'll join the crowd and represent the greater Grand Rapids area.

Perhaps Ubuntu-MI, WMLUG and GRLUG could all get together someday
and have a decent turnout / afternoon long mini-fest.
Who is to say that the next step in evolution is not a statistical
chance but rather a by-product of our own will?
That from here on out, nature stops deciding who survives and who
doesn't, but our own decisions?
Ben Rousch
2010-03-24 17:57:22 UTC
It's good to see so much enthusiasm for a meeting on the west side. There
was a release party for Karmic at a WMLUG meeting last

-----BEGIN PGP SIG...
--
Who is to say that the next step in evolution is not a statistical
chance but rather a by-product of our own will?
That from here on out, nature stops deciding who survives and who
doesn't, but our own decisions?
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: http...
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
Sorry about that last email. I'm on vacation typing on a droid and we hit a
bump.

I'm all for a west side meeting, but the biggest hurdle (as with GRLUG) is
finding a location.

On Mar 24, 2010 1:57 PM, "Ben Rousch" <brousch at gmail.com> wrote:

It's good to see so much enthusiasm for a meeting on the west side. There
was a release party for Karmic at a WMLUG meeting last
I'd like to toss in my ...
-----BEGIN PGP SIG...
On Mar 24, 2010 1:57 PM, "Ben Rousch" <brousch at gmail.com
On Mar 24, 2010 1:37 PM, "Dan Pilcheck" <pilcheck at gmail.com
I'd like to toss in my ...
On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 11:19 AM, Marc Zuverink
-----BEGIN PGP SIG...
--
Post by Ben Rousch
Who is to say that the next step in evolution is not a statistical
chance but rather a by-produ...
Better not be typing while driving mr! :) Let the wife drive...
-------------- next part --------------
Post by Ben Rousch
Sorry about that last email. I'm on vacation typing on a droid and we
hit a bump.
I'm all for a west side meeting, but the biggest hurdle (as with
GRLUG) is finding a location.
Our release parties on the right coast have been at pubs. No "free
beer", perhaps, but I have found that many folks enjoy a brew. And even
people like me who don't drink can get a Coke and enjoy the company.

Regards,
--
Kevin B. O'Brien TANSTAAFL
nadreck at palain.com Linux User #333216

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to
keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemingway
Rob Duncan
2010-03-25 00:35:53 UTC
what about Founders Brewing,
235 Grandville Ave SW
Grand Rapids, MI 49503
http://www.foundersbrewing.com/

as a meetup location?
Derek Slenk
2010-03-25 00:44:53 UTC
In my experience, Grand Rapids Brewing Company is usually a little quieter.

-slenk
Post by Rob Duncan
what about Founders Brewing,
235 Grandville Ave SW
Grand Rapids, MI 49503
http://www.foundersbrewing.com/
as a meetup location?
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
<quoting name="Rob Duncan" date="2010-03-24" time="20:35:53 -0400">
Post by Rob Duncan
what about Founders Brewing,
Man I am jealous if you go to Founders! :)
--
| Greg Grossmeier |
| http://grossmeier.net |
Thanh Nguyen
2010-03-25 02:34:34 UTC
I'm not sure how most facilities serving alcoholic beverages treats
individuals under 21- I know my local brewery (New Holland Brewery) does
allow us to enter at most times, since they also serve and brew their own
non-alcoholic beverages.
http://www.newhollandbrew.com/
Post by Rob Duncan
what about Founders Brewing,
Man I am jealous if you go to Founders! :)
--
| Greg Grossmeier |
| http://grossmeier.net |
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
<quoting name="Thanh Nguyen" date="2010-03-24" time="22:34:34 -0400">
Post by Thanh Nguyen
I'm not sure how most facilities serving alcoholic beverages treats
individuals under 21- I know my local brewery (New Holland Brewery) does
allow us to enter at most times, since they also serve and brew their own
non-alcoholic beverages.
Yeah, all of the locations that we go to on the East Side allow under21
in, you just get a nice black X on your hand.
--
| Greg Grossmeier |
| http://grossmeier.net |
Steve Romanow
Sent from my mobile device
Matt Michielsen
2010-03-25 12:35:32 UTC
Post by Greg Grossmeier
Post by Thanh Nguyen
non-alcoholic beverages.
Yeah, all of the locations that we go to on the East Side allow under21
in, you just get a nice black X on your hand.
--
| Greg Grossmeier |
| http://grossmeier.net |
--
Founders and Grand Rapids Brewing are both pretty good choices. Founders is
definitely a lot louder, but it's also a lot closer for me. New Holland
Wolfger
http://wolfger.wordpress.com/

The world is a mess, and I just... need to rule it.
Jay R. Wren
2010-03-25 13:33:53 UTC
Post by Matt Michielsen
Founders and Grand Rapids Brewing are both pretty good choices.
Founders is definitely a lot louder, but it's also a lot closer for
me. New Holland would be far closer yet. Or we could meet at
somebody's house that's centrally located (I have beer on tap, but
Zeeland is a little out of the way from GR).
If you guys are feeling punchy you could crash this party:

-Grand Rapids Visual Studio 2010 *Launch* *Party* at @coFactory
<http://t.sebug.net/coFactory> 4/22 at 6:30PM. Drinks, food & demos
http://bit.ly/bMpciW

Tell Chris Woodruff I sent you. Steal their drinks and food. Claim you
love Visual Studio, then hand everyone Ubuntu Lucid CDs :)

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
<quoting name="Jay R. Wren" date="2010-03-25" time="09:33:53 -0400">
Post by Jay R. Wren
Tell Chris Woodruff I sent you. Steal their drinks and food. Claim you
love Visual Studio, then hand everyone Ubuntu Lucid CDs :)
Jay++
--
| Greg Grossmeier |
| http://grossmeier.net |
Marc Zuverink
On 3/24/10, Greg Grossmeier <greg at grossmeier.net
Post by Greg Grossmeier
in, you just get a nice black X on your hand.
--
| Greg Grossmeier |
| http://grossmeier.net |
--
Founders and Grand Rapids Brewing are both pretty good choices.
Founders is definitely a lot louder, but it's also a lot closer for
me. New Holland would be far closer yet. Or we could meet at
somebody's house that's centrally located (I have beer on tap, but
Zeeland is a little out of the way from GR).
I vote for New Holland Brewing, and Matt's house is NOT out of the way
for the GR folks, Zeeland is a lot closer!

- --

Steve Romanow
2010-03-25 15:02:11 UTC
Works for me. I know Matt. Pleeeeesa make-a some IPA.
Matt Michielsen
2010-03-25 15:51:20 UTC
Works for me. I know Matt. Pleeeeesa make-a some IPA.
There's currently 10 gallons fermenting, 5 gallons of which will be hooked
up through one of
these<http://www.dogfish.com/company/tangents/randall-the-enamel-animal.htm>
that
one of my coworkers just built.

I'll probably be having a spring-time get-together at my place soon, and all
local Ubuntu fans are definitely invited.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 11:02 AM, Steve Romanow <slestak989 at gmail.com
Works for me. I know Matt. Pleeeeesa make-a some IPA.
There's currently 10 gallons fermenting, 5 gallons of which will be
hooked up through one of these
<http://www.dogfish.com/company/tangents/randall-the-enamel-animal.htm> that
one of my coworkers just built.
I'll probably be having a spring-time get-together at my place soon,
and all local Ubuntu fans are definitely invited.
Ought to have a "Show your ISO at the door" policy. :)
-------------- next part --------------
Post by Matt Michielsen
Works for me. I know Matt. Pleeeeesa make-a some IPA.
There's currently 10 gallons fermenting, 5 gallons of which will be
hooked up through one of these<http://www.dogfish.com/company/tangents/randall-the-enamel-animal.htm> that
one of my coworkers just built.
I'll probably be having a spring-time get-together at my place soon, and
all local Ubuntu fans are definitely invited.
Ought to have a "Show your ISO at the door" policy. :)
Well, I would expect some "normals" to show up too. This wouldn't be a
nerd-only event.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
I'm another west coaster! I live in Holland and work on east side GR. I
would love to attend an Ubuntu event but can't promise anything because of a
heafty works schedule, college, and a wife and baby on top of it.

I like a beer but not looking for a party. I'm more into being nerdy. Teach
me something I don't know already and I consider that a good time!

-Clay
Post by Matt Michielsen
Post by Matt Michielsen
-- "technologically promiscuous"
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
Large snip here:

There are some great places that aren't always bars or pubs... Wealthy
Street Bakery is a great place as well for coffee, wonderful bread and free
wifi.... At night it is pretty empty and a great place to hang out and get
work done. Also in Alger Heights area there is a nice quiet coffee shop w/
free wifi as well...

Just pushing some closer places for me as well as I am also on the West Side
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
Meeting or not I would enjoy getting together just for coffee and a good discussion linux related if your game. Let me know...
-----
Sent from my Virgin Mobile.
Post by Marc
Meeting or not I would enjoy getting together just for coffee and a good
discussion linux related if your game. Let me know...
Well, meetings are just people getting together. Beverages and discussion
makes it worthwhile. Anything more involved than that can be a subject of
discussion.

I don't know the area well enough yet to suggest a location.