[ubuntu-us-mi] creating a GPT disk label
Robert Citek
2010-10-18 16:28:02 UTC
How does one specify to the Ubuntu installer to create a GPT disk
label instead of an MSDOS label when installing Ubuntu server?

I would like to install Ubuntu on some servers and have the disks on
the servers use the GPT disk label. Unfortunately, I have not been
successful in creating a GPT disk label using the server CD.

My current method is to boot with the Ubuntu desktop CD, type 'sudo
parted /dev/sda mklabel gpt' in a terminal, and reboot, swapping out
the desktop CD for the server CD. That works, but I find it rather
cumbersome. I've tried booting the server CD, exiting to a shell, and
typing parted. But apparently parted is not on the server CD or is
not available via busybox. I also tried fdisk, but it does not
support creating GPT labels.

Is there a way to create a GPT disk label using the server CD?

Regards,
- Robert
Robert Citek
2010-10-18 17:52:23 UTC
Post by Robert Citek
Is there a way to create a GPT disk label using the server CD?
A possible alternate solution might be to do a "normal" install, boot
into the new system, and convert the MSDOS label to GPT using gdisk.
Has anyone tried doing this?

Regards,
- Robert
Robert Citek
2010-10-18 18:33:14 UTC
Post by Robert Citek
Is there a way to create a GPT disk label using the server CD?
A possible alternate solution might be to do a "normal" install, boot
into the new system, and convert the MSDOS label to GPT using gdisk.
Has anyone tried doing this?
Using gdisk seemed to work. However, I had to reinstall grub using
'grub-install --force /dev/sda'

Regards,
- Robert
Robert Citek
2010-10-19 22:35:02 UTC
Post by Robert Citek
Is there a way to create a GPT disk label using the server CD?
A possible alternate solution might be to do a "normal" install, boot
into the new system, and convert the MSDOS label to GPT using gdisk.
Has anyone tried doing this?
Using gdisk seemed to work. ?However, I had to reinstall grub using
'grub-install --force /dev/sda'
Using gdisk to resize a partition worked well, too. Actually, to
resize I had to delete and create new. But it worked. I just made
sure the start sectors were identical. Rebooted and then did a
pvresize.

Regards,
- Robert