[ubuntu-us-mi] mailing list problem reminder
Wolfger
2007-10-03 15:02:13 UTC
Since all I'm seeing are the e-mails from Greg, I think I need to remind
everybody that if you hit "reply", your e-mail is going to the *person* and
not the list. I personally consider this a bug, but some mailing lists are
set with this default intentionally. Needless to say, it's lousy for
communications, and does not lend itself well to fostering a sense of
community.
--
Wolfger
http://wolfger.wordpress.com/
I asked the person who is the admin on our list (Zelut) about this issue:

greg-g> Zelut: if there is a way to set the "reply-to" field on mailing list
messages, could you please set that to the list address for ubuntu-us-mi?
Thanks!
Zelut> greg-g: I thought I already did but let me go back and check
Zelut> greg-g: explicit reply-to header: ubuntu-us-mi at lists.ubuntu.com

So, apparently the reply-to is set as ubuntu-us-mi on the mailing list
admin. I don't know if it is a gmail thing or what, but it is an issue. I
just hope we can all remember to hit "reply-to all" or resend it if we
notice our email only went to one person.

Since I begin most threads, if I get a reply that is only to me, I usually
either reply it back to the list or ask the person if they want me to do it
for them.

It is a pain, but I think we all are able to overcome it.

greg
Post by Wolfger
Since all I'm seeing are the e-mails from Greg, I think I need to remind
everybody that if you hit "reply", your e-mail is going to the *person* and
not the list. I personally consider this a bug, but some mailing lists are
set with this default intentionally. Needless to say, it's lousy for
communications, and does not lend itself well to fostering a sense of
community.
--
Wolfger
http://wolfger.wordpress.com/
AOL IM: wolf4coyot
Yahoo!Messenger: wolfgersilberbaer
Ekiga: wolfger
.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-us-mi
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
I'm not using gmail, so I can confirm the reply-to header is not getting
set.

They are using mailman and it appears they have it misconfigured.
Instead of using reply_to_address (the explicit reply-to header) They
should have reply_goes_to_list set to "This list" instead of poster.
This is the setting directly above the reply_to_address setting in the
mailman admin web ui. The explicit reply-to address is probably not
actually getting set because they have reply_goes_to_list set to
"Poster" and not "Explicit address" which is required to actually have
the reply_to_address setting do anything.

quick steps to fix:
1. set reply_goes_to_list to "This list"
2. optionally blank the unused reply_to_address to avoid confusion

Feel free to forward this email to the list administrator.

Thanks,
--
Jay (former mailman hacker)
Zelut> greg-g: explicit reply-to header: ubuntu-us-mi at lists.ubuntu.com