[ubuntu-us-mi] Recommendation for Netbook for Ubuntu?
Zach Frey
2010-07-15 16:10:32 UTC
Hi everyone,

I have a friend looking for a local (Ann Arbor) source for an
Ubuntu-friendly netbook.

Recommendations?

Thanks in advance,
Zach Frey
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
Wolfger
http://wolfger.wordpress.com/

The world is a mess, and I just... need to rule it.
Bradley McMahon
Wolfger
http://wolfger.wordpress.com/
The world is a mess, and I just... need to rule it.
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
I live in Ann Arbor and am considering selling my Starling, which I
bought from System76.

However, I'll first admit that this model has an inconveniently placed
3G/wireless toggle switch (easy to toggle accidentally), and I have
given up getting the built-in microphone to work with Skype. I also
can't get WEP to work or VPN to connect to my workplace's service,
though both of these worked on my previous System76 laptop.

Aside from that, no problems. :)

Please contact me if interested.

Kevin
Zach Frey
t jagoda
2010-07-15 18:56:53 UTC
System76 just released a brand new Starling netbook - a v2. It is now
available for preorder on their website (system76.com).

Trevor

Post by Zach Frey
Hi everyone,
I have a friend looking for a local (Ann Arbor) source for an
Ubuntu-friendly netbook.
Recommendations?
Thanks in advance,
Zach Frey
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
It's not in Ann Arbor, but MicroCenter in Madison Heights has the Asus
EeePC 1005HAB for $190:

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0327628

Comes with Windows XP, but runs Lucid 10.04 pretty well. My only
issue is that a few of the "blue" buttons do not work, e.g. screen
dimming, sleep, and numlk work but volume and wifi control do not.
But that's just a matter of me figuring out what voodoo magic to
perform.

Good luck.

Regards,
- Robert
gib
2010-07-16 14:05:34 UTC
I just ordered a really cheap system (about $77 total) on eBay. Don't know if it does Linux yet:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390202239561&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I just ordered a really cheap system (about $77 total) on eBay.? Don't know
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390202239561&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
I looked into these types of super-cheap no-name netbooks coming out
of China recently. They almost always run WinCE and don't have a real
BIOS. From what I've read it's nigh-impossible to put anything useful
on them, but I'd love to hear about it if you succeed.
--
? Ben Rousch
? brousch at gmail.com
? http://ishmilok.blogspot.com/
Bradley McMahon
2010-07-16 14:20:44 UTC
check out mwave.com's clearance items for EEE PCs. I got mine $100 cheaper

-Brad
Post by Bradley McMahon
check out mwave.com's clearance items for EEE PCs. I got mine $100 cheaper
-Brad
I second MWave - they are awesome. I got my refurb EeePC 901 for $189
from there last year. It came in an official Asus box and looked like
it had never been touched.
--
? Ben Rousch
? brousch at gmail.com