[ubuntu-us-mi] xrdp on Ubuntu 9.04
Robert Citek
2009-06-17 19:13:42 UTC
Was wondering if anyone has successfully setup xrdp on Ubuntu 9.04?

xrdp is a service that allows Windows machines to connect remotely to
a Linux box via mstsc (Microsoft Terminal Server Client), the
pre-installed RDP client for Windows. When I try to connect, it does
connect, but the screen keeps flashing as though the desktop keeps
trying to restart.

Regards,
- Robert
Bradley McMahon
2009-06-18 21:24:47 UTC
I suggest nx over any windows crazy protocols besides it's over ssh and is
crazy fast.

nomachine.com
Bradley McMahon
Post by Robert Citek
Was wondering if anyone has successfully setup xrdp on Ubuntu 9.04?
xrdp is a service that allows Windows machines to connect remotely to
a Linux box via mstsc (Microsoft Terminal Server Client), the
pre-installed RDP client for Windows. When I try to connect, it does
connect, but the screen keeps flashing as though the desktop keeps
trying to restart.
Regards,
- Robert
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
The disadvantage of NX over RDP is that in an entrenched windows environment, deployment can be an issue.

With RDP, there is no deployment requirement. You tell people to "remote desktop to here" and they do.

I really hope that xrdp succeeds to the point that I can tell people to RDP to a linux server and they don't have to think about it. Hopefully with domain kerberos auth.

--
Jay

Post by Jay R. Wren
The disadvantage of NX over RDP is that in an entrenched windows environment, deployment can be an issue.
Bingo!
Post by Jay R. Wren
With RDP, there is no deployment requirement. You tell people to "remote desktop to here" and they do.
That's the plan. And the reverse already works in that I can use
rdesktop to connect to a Windows Terminal Server.
Post by Jay R. Wren
I really hope that xrdp succeeds to the point that I can tell people to RDP to a linux server and they don't have to think about it. Hopefully with domain kerberos auth.
I'd be happy if plain-vanilla worked. Right now, all I get is screen
flicker. If it was an old-style TV, I'd think to adjust the rabbit
ears or give it a good whack.

Regards,
- Robert