[Michigan-LoCo] The "what can we do" ideas
Greg Grossmeier
2007-08-24 17:15:10 UTC
Here is a quick list of the ideas that were discussed at the meeting and in
IRC:

1. Computer Recycling/Donating
See the wiki page for more on this, I created a "planning page" for it,
add your ideas there

2. Release Party/InstallFest
There is also a planning page on the wiki for this. This seems like
something we should obviously do since A) it includes a party and B) we
could pull it off relatively easily.

3. Ubuntu Tech Talks
This could take a few different forms. Possibilities are doing talks at
Ubuntu LoCo meetings or doing them at other LUGs.
<my opinion>
I tend to lean on the side of doing/participating with talks at other LUGs
so that we don't replicate the work that they are doing. From what I have
seen/heard many of the people in the LUGs around here are Ubuntu users to
begin with, so going to their meetings seems a logical decision.
There is no reason why we could not do tech focused talks at our meetings
though, but I'm not sure if that should be the focus of them. I think the
focus of the meetings could be closer to working on our other projects.
</my opinion>

4. Other group gatherings like BBQs, whatever.

greg
--
If you take a step towards Freedom, It'll take two steps towards you.
-------------- next part --------------
Post by Greg Grossmeier
4. Other group gatherings like BBQs, whatever.
Always up for a good BBQ. :-)
I think we should plan on a presence at Penguicon.
I'd like to get a bit more involved in supporting the larger Ubuntu
community. One of the things that sparked my interest in the LoCo (as
opposed to "it's just another lug") was the list of proposed
activities on the (now defunct?) Detroit LoCo page. Stepping up and
working on projects, not just installfests and discussions. Not sure
what the technical level of the group is, but I'm feeling motivated to
get my hands dirty. And not just with BBQ sauce. ;-)
--
Wolfger
http://wolfger.wordpress.com/
Ekiga: wolfger
Jay R. Wren
2007-08-24 18:22:16 UTC
Post by Wolfger
Post by Greg Grossmeier
4. Other group gatherings like BBQs, whatever.
Always up for a good BBQ. :-)
I think we should plan on a presence at Penguicon.
I'd like to get a bit more involved in supporting the larger Ubuntu
community. One of the things that sparked my interest in the LoCo (as
opposed to "it's just another lug") was the list of proposed
activities on the (now defunct?) Detroit LoCo page. Stepping up and
working on projects, not just installfests and discussions. Not sure
what the technical level of the group is, but I'm feeling motivated to
get my hands dirty. And not just with BBQ sauce. ;-)
Wolfger,
I am glad to hear there is someone else out there like me. I'm less
interested in the introductory and promote ubuntu topics. I am more
interested in the technical and hands dirty topics. I think in terms of
ubuntu this usually means packaging. There are a few things that I would
love to see packaged for ubuntu (and debian too). A meeting on packaging
or a packaging sprint could be cool.

Jay
Greg Grossmeier
2007-08-24 18:39:46 UTC
Wasn't it you, Jay, who suggested the Jam Session?

Here is a link about what that means for us technical people (scroll down a
bit):
http://www.mindviewinc.com/Conferences/FlexAIRJam/Index.php

Just adding ideas to the mix.

greg
Post by Jay R. Wren
Post by Wolfger
Post by Greg Grossmeier
[...]
A jam sounds cool. Hmm. Could a jam work well over IRC? Is there a
good screen-sharing app in Ubunut (I'm thinking of Sametime
collaboration tools we use here at work... chat, whiteboard, and
screen sharing with possible transfer of control).

I could easily see us doing 3 meetings a month: a "business" meeting
(promoting Ubuntu, presentations, taking care of LoCo matters), a
social (find someplace big enough that serves beer), and a jam (for
the technically-inclined). These are 3 distinctly different purposes
that will, I think, attract 3 slightly (or not so slightly) different
groups of members. Not all meetings need to be IRL (well, except the
social really does, I think).

That would leave us with 1-2 weeks a month off, too, to prevent
burnout for those who want to do it all. :-)
Ekiga: wolfger
Jay R. Wren
2007-08-24 21:31:27 UTC
I'm gonna say "no" to a JAM over IRC. The whole point of a JAM is that
you get that in-person interactivity that just isn't possible over IRC
or shared VNC or other.

Now if the person on the IRC end would like to just IRC chat and watch a
VNC session and maybe listen to a live stream cast, then I think maybe
we could plan for and accommodate that. But those things do take extra
work to setup where as an Open Spaces meeting can be done completely
impromptu and a Jam requires just a tiny little bit more planning.

I'm taking your "not physically present" request seriously and I'll try
to be prepared to IRC and VNC stream and audio stream or Skype as well.

Skype... Skype has Unyte application sharing and some white board app on
win32. Does Skype for Linux have these things?

Thanks for the suggestions,
--
Jay
Jay R. Wren
2007-08-24 21:25:52 UTC
Yes Greg,

It was me who suggested the JAM session. And I still think it would be a
great idea. I guess that is what I meant. "Sprint" implies some definite
goals and I'd much rather approach a meeting with indefinite intentions.
My only intention would be furthering knowledge about packaging and ubuntu.

JAMS are cool :)

--
Jay
On 8/24/07, *Jay R. Wren* <jrwren at xmtp.net <mailto:jrwren at xmtp.net>>
Greg Grossmeier
Post by Greg Grossmeier
I like that idea (the packaging jam).
I've been eager to get a LUG meeting on packaging, but I think a
discussion/sprint is a great way to do this. It's something that might
take some time so I started talking with jorge about possibly hosting a
package meeting/sprint at my place. I think it'd be easier to make more
of a day event rather than a couple hour meeting somewhere. Bring in
some pizza and drinks as we can spend a sunday or something having fun.

The big thing is to find someone (or better yet two) with packaging
experience. Jorge suggests trying to find some MOTU
(https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MOTU) guys who might be able to help. Anyone
have any contacts for local people?

Rick