[ubuntu-us-mi] remote support
Wolfger
2009-06-24 16:35:54 UTC
Hey guys and gals. I've recently inducted a non-computer-geek into the
realm of Ubuntu users. She doesn't live too far away, which is why I
agreed to give her tech support gratis (hey... I *really* wanted to
rid the world of another virus-laden XP box!), but it would be much
easier if I could give support from the convenience of my home.

So... Does anybody here have experience setting this up? What tools
(preferably on the KDE side) are good for this? How complicated will
it be to do?
--
Wolfger
http://wolfger.wordpress.com/

The world is a mess, and I just... need to rule it.
Chelsey Twigg
2009-06-24 16:43:45 UTC
I haven't ever used it, but I found this article:
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/ubuntu/kubuntu/enable-remote-desktop-vnc-on-kubuntu/

I'm usually a GNOME person m'self, so I've not had any experience with any
KDE differences. I am, however, free tech support to all family and friends
that use Ubuntu, and most of them live out-of-state

Also, for smaller problems that you know can be solved by a command or two,
if you're able to IM with her, it's really easy to just have her copy/paste
the commands and run them. Once you get them past the initial fear of the
command line, it makes things so much easier than remote desktop, or "OK,
click here... Then there..." I've been putting together a bash script,
actually, for friends to run on new installs, to install Medibuntu, updates,
and favorite tools.

Hope that helps!

P.S. I've been lurking on the list for a few months but never chipped in. So
hi everyone!
Post by Wolfger
Hey guys and gals. I've recently inducted a non-computer-geek into the
realm of Ubuntu users. She doesn't live too far away, which is why I
agreed to give her tech support gratis (hey... I *really* wanted to
rid the world of another virus-laden XP box!), but it would be much
easier if I could give support from the convenience of my home.
So... Does anybody here have experience setting this up? What tools
(preferably on the KDE side) are good for this? How complicated will
it be to do?
--
Wolfger
http://wolfger.wordpress.com/
http://twitter.com/wolfger
http://identi.ca/wolfger
The world is a mess, and I just... need to rule it.
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
I am a lurker as well, Chelsey :)
The included Remote Desktop tools in Gnome seem to work pretty well for me.
It really is just VNC.

Make sure you poke a hole in her router and forward the port to her machine
though so you can connect from outside of her network (I hope she is behind
a router).

Is it hot today or what?

Todd
Post by Wolfger
Hey guys and gals. I've recently inducted a non-computer-geek into the
realm of Ubuntu users. She doesn't live too far away, which is why I
agreed to give her tech support gratis (hey... I *really* wanted to
rid the world of another virus-laden XP box!), but it would be much
easier if I could give support from the convenience of my home.
So... Does anybody here have experience setting this up? What tools
(preferably on the KDE side) are good for this? How complicated will
it be to do?
--
Wolfger
http://wolfger.wordpress.com/
http://twitter.com/wolfger
http://identi.ca/wolfger
The world is a mess, and I just... need to rule it.
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
Also if you are familiar with terminal/ssh, you can install
openssh-server.

Make sure that:
- you have an admin user on the remote machine
- you configure the ssh server to allow only the above user to log-in
through ssh (AllowUsers I think, in /etc/ssh/sshd_config)
- as previously said, you open a port on the router.

And I confirm that it's really hot today...
--
~ Arnaud Soyez
[GPG] BD1D82F4 (keyserver.ubuntu.com)

Le Wed, 24 Jun 2009 12:49:18 -0400,
Post by Todd DeLand
I am a lurker as well, Chelsey :)
The included Remote Desktop tools in Gnome seem to work pretty well
for me. It really is just VNC.
Make sure you poke a hole in her router and forward the port to her
machine though so you can connect from outside of her network (I hope
she is behind a router).
Is it hot today or what?
Todd
Post by Wolfger
Hey guys and gals. I've recently inducted a non-computer-geek into
the realm of Ubuntu users. She doesn't live too far away, which is
why I agreed to give her tech support gratis (hey... I *really*
wanted to rid the world of another virus-laden XP box!), but it
would be much easier if I could give support from the convenience
of my home.
So... Does anybody here have experience setting this up? What tools
(preferably on the KDE side) are good for this? How complicated
will it be to do?
--
Wolfger
http://wolfger.wordpress.com/
http://twitter.com/wolfger
http://identi.ca/wolfger
The world is a mess, and I just... need to rule it.
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: signature.asc
Type: application/pgp-signature
Size: 489 bytes
Desc: not available

An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

Tony Bemus
2009-06-24 21:10:08 UTC
I wrote a simple script that does port forwarding and it forwards the
VNC port to a server. I have a script that the user runs then I connect
to my server on that port and I can use VNC to control their desktop.

User:

Tony Bemus
Bemus Hosting
Web Hosting and Design
http://www.bemushosting.com
Robert Citek
2009-06-24 22:41:37 UTC
This sounds like a really nice feature of ssh. So I'm curious about
some details. Does this mean that support has an account on
bemus.homelinux.com? How do you prevent a remote user from gaining
shell access? Or is that not an issue? How do you disconnect them
from your machine when you are finished so that you can help the next
person?

Regards,
- Robert
Tony Bemus
2009-06-25 02:31:43 UTC
Robert, There is an account "support" on the server, There is no shell
access, in the passwd file I put /bin/false for the shell. so they
only have access to forward ports and no shell access. I can disconnect
them by either ctrl+c when I'm controlling their desktop or I can kill
their ssh process on the server.

The one down fall is that with this design I can only use one person
per that script. If I wanted to help multiple people then they all
would have to have their own ports in the script.

I got the idea from a commercial product called Kaseya, it is windows
based but the windows client connected to a server and my computer
connected to the server then I was able to control their desktop.

Tony
http://www.bemushosting.com
Jay R. Wren
2009-06-25 02:56:11 UTC
I could probably execute remote commands, and maybe even chsh.

does
ssh support at bemus.homelinux.com ls
show a directory listing?

--
Jay

Scott Moser
2009-06-25 00:18:23 UTC
Post by Todd DeLand
I am a lurker as well, Chelsey :)
The included Remote Desktop tools in Gnome seem to work pretty well for me.
It really is just VNC.
Make sure you poke a hole in her router and forward the port to her machine
though so you can connect from outside of her network (I hope she is behind
a router).
I've not used it, but many of the windows vnc servers support "reverse
vnc". I really dont know much more than that.
There is information on that for linux at

http://anthonymaciel.com/dhcontest/dreamsupport also has information
(although that is for windows).
Is it hot today or what?
gib
2009-06-24 17:29:22 UTC
Hi, good to see you contribute. If you are local to Detroit we would like to invite all of you lurkers to the regular meetings of some local groups. See the web site :
http://www.mdlug.org

Wanna lose weight? Weight Loss Programs that work. Click here.
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2131/fc/BLSrjnsEGrGuydcoI4W6sUZ0439wMgU4wZ5fBNRHAgbTNjdRueeg7kVWcTW/