[ubuntu-us-mi] [[Discuss] OpenStreetMap]
Greg Grossmeier
2009-06-26 18:56:50 UTC
Not sure how many of you aren't on the MUG mailing list, but this is a
cool project that needs more GPS toting geeks in the US.

Greg

----- Forwarded message from Dirk Munson <dirk at cloudmade.com> -----
From: Dirk Munson <dirk at cloudmade.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 19:34:49 +0100
Subject: [Discuss] OpenStreetMap
To: "discuss at mug.org" <discuss at mug.org>
Dear all-
Pleased to announce a get-together this weekend for OpenStreetMap. If
you're unfamiliar, OpenStreetMap is 'the Wikipedia of maps' a free open
source geo database of the entire world. Our 120,000+ contributors use OSM
to find and share a variety of map features. (hiking trails, biking trails,
POIs, and much more) http://openstreetmap.org
We're starting to cultivate a community for OSM in Southwest Michigan.
We're holding one of our first Detroit area events this Saturday. It's at
Five15, a coffee shop and bookstore at 515 S. Washington Ave, in Royal Oak,
MI 48067. All are welcomed, it's fun, it's free, you can help. The event
page: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Detroit_June09_Mapping_Party
We'll be getting new and experienced mappers together for some discussion,
fun, and some mapping. Feel free to bring your laptop and/or GPS. We'll
also have a few GPS units to lend out.
No worries if you can't make it to this weekend's event, we hope this will
be the first of many get-togethers for OSM in the Detroit area. To stay up
http://www.meetup.com/Detroit-OpenStreetMappers/
Please drop me a line if you have any questions or suggestions.
Best,
Dirk
Dirk Munson || Community Ambassador || OpenStreetMap.org || 773.263.2688 ||
| Greg Grossmeier |
| http://grossmeier.net |
Robert Citek
2009-06-26 19:43:42 UTC
Soon as I'm back in MI, it be nice to meet up with someone for a
guided tour of how this works and how I can use my Garmin to
contribute.

Regards,
- Robert
Arnaud Soyez
2009-06-27 11:09:19 UTC
I looked at it two weeks ago, and in fact, the US roads on OpenStreetMap
are pretty complete and accurate already. I felt bad when I saw that my
TomTom GPS data that I gathered was less accurate than OSM.

But it seems there is a lot of work to do on highway ramps/exits naming
and giving them the right direction of traffic, as well as, for other
roads, speed limits, traffic lights and gas stations would be neat to
have.

It'd be smarter, though, to ask the OSM developers what really needs
to be done in the US.

Arnaud
--
~ Arnaud Soyez