[ubuntu-us-mi] Natty Narwhal wireless issue
Matt Arnold
2011-05-12 18:22:03 UTC
After I upgraded to Natty Narwhal, the wireless card no longer works
in my Dell Inspiron E1505. That is to say, when I click the drop-down
menu that would show networks, they are no longer shown.

First I tried this solution:
http://www.amilo-forum.com/topic,3582,-Ubuntu-11-04-Natty-Narwhal-wireless-on-LI1718-how-to.html

Then I tried "sudo modprobe b44" based on a recommendation here:

Still nothing. Any thoughts?

-Matt
gib
2011-05-13 00:49:06 UTC
Sorry I don't know. But I think it is interesting that both solutions you found didn't describe the root cause or why the solution should work. Just click on this or enter this command.

When you do a ifconfig do you see anything interesting? Did you check the drivers installed?

Groupon.com Official Site
1 huge daily deal on the best stuff to do in your city. Try it today!
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/4dcc801ccbda93c3c69st04vuc
Scott Moser
2011-05-13 06:36:03 UTC
Post by Matt Arnold
After I upgraded to Natty Narwhal, the wireless card no longer works
in my Dell Inspiron E1505. That is to say, when I click the drop-down
menu that would show networks, they are no longer shown.
http://www.amilo-forum.com/topic,3582,-Ubuntu-11-04-Natty-Narwhal-wireless-on-LI1718-how-to.html
Still nothing. Any thoughts?
Googling showed [1] . And that links to [2].

If you have access to the network (wired), please run :
ubuntu-bug /boot/vmlinuz-$(uname -r)

and follow the prompts. If this device worked for you in 10.10 "out of the
box", then please mark the bug as "Regression Release".

Feel free to subscribe me (smoser) if you like. It won't really help
much, but I can poke some people.

[1] http://askubuntu.com/questions/39508/how-do-you-solve-the-problem-of-a-laptops-inability-to-detect-wireless-networks
[2] https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/Driver/bcm43xx