[ubuntu-us-mi] expand USB persistent disk under Ubuntu
Robert Citek
2012-09-19 19:07:05 UTC
At the last Bug Jam I created a bootable USB stick. Unfortunately, I
specified a persistent disk that was too small. Booting from a CD, I
was able to expand the persistent disk on the USB stick by an
additional 1GB using these steps:

# mount USB drive, often automounted to someplace under /media/ as
soon as the stick is inserted

# open a terminal and cd to the USB drive
cd /media/CD6A-1A89/

# check the filesystem on the persistent file
fsck.ext3 casper-rw

# append 1 GB of zeros onto the file
dd if=/dev/zero bs=1M count=1000 >> casper-rw

# expand the filesystem to use the new space
resize2fs casper-rw

# exit the shell and eject the USB stick
Greg Grossmeier
2012-09-19 21:42:57 UTC
Thanks Robert!

I just wanted to quickly say that I appreciate the quick how-to messages
you send, even though I don't always say thank you.

So, Thank you!

Greg

<quote name="Robert Citek" date="2012-09-19" time="15:07:05 -0400">
Post by Robert Citek
At the last Bug Jam I created a bootable USB stick. Unfortunately, I
specified a persistent disk that was too small. Booting from a CD, I
was able to expand the persistent disk on the USB stick by an
# mount USB drive, often automounted to someplace under /media/ as
soon as the stick is inserted
# open a terminal and cd to the USB drive
cd /media/CD6A-1A89/
# check the filesystem on the persistent file
fsck.ext3 casper-rw
# append 1 GB of zeros onto the file
dd if=/dev/zero bs=1M count=1000 >> casper-rw
# expand the filesystem to use the new space
resize2fs casper-rw
# exit the shell and eject the USB stick
| Greg Grossmeier GPG: B2FA 27B1 F7EB D327 6B8E |
| http://grossmeier.net A18D 1138 8E47 FAC8 1C7D |
Robert Citek
2012-09-20 17:30:40 UTC
Thanks, Greg, for the kind words and am glad you find them useful.

One day I'll create myself one of them blog-thingies. Until then I'll
post the occasional Ubuntu item here.

Regards,
- Robert
Post by Greg Grossmeier