[ubuntu-us-mi] install hangs Ubuntu 9.04 netbook remix
Robert Citek
2009-09-04 15:59:41 UTC
I'm trying to install Ubuntu 9.04 Netbook Remix (NBR) on an ASUS eeepc
2G surf (700). It runs Ubuntu just fine from the USB stick. But when
I try to install it, it hangs at 22% during the "Installing system
Copying files ..."

I checked the md5sum of the downloaded image and it checked:

$ grep ubuntu-9.04-netbook-remix-i386.img MD5SUMS | md5sum -c -
ubuntu-9.04-netbook-remix-i386.img: OK

When ran the "Check disc for defects" I get the following:

Checking integriy, this may take some time
Check finished: errors found in 1 files!
Press any key to reboot your system

Thinking I may have gotten a bad image I downloaded another image from
a different site:

http://mirror.anl.gov/pub/ubuntu-iso/CDs/jaunty/ubuntu-9.04-netbook-remix-i386.img

I check with md5sum and it checked OK. The md5sum files were the same
as before.

I'm going to try to hunt down which file has the error.

But I'm curious if anyone else experience issues with Ubuntu's NBR?
Has anyone successfully installed the NBR?

Regards,
- Robert
Robert Citek
2009-09-04 16:27:36 UTC
Silly question, but how could I tell?

Regards,
- Robert
With a tiny 2GB hard drive, could it be running out of space during install?
Bradley McMahon
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
Opened a terminal and typed 'free -m'. Looks good. 489 MB of RAM,
282 MB free, 341 MB of Swap with 335 MB free.

Also checked the disks with 'df -hl'. Again, looks good. I'm
installing to a 4 GB SD card instead of the internal "disk" and it has
only used 107 MB (i.e. 3.2 GB are still free on /target).

Looking in dmesg, I see a few errrors:
[drm: i915_get_vblank_counter] *ERROR* trying to get vblank count for
disabled pipe 0
usb 1-5: reset high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 5

I'll Google those and see what I get.

Regards,
- Robert
-Brad
Adam J. Lincoln

Robert Citek
2009-09-04 18:04:09 UTC
I've already tried three different USB stick. I'm beginning to think
the issue is with the SD card. What stinks is that it takes so dang
long to go through each test cycle.

Regards,
- Robert
Ben Rousch