[ubuntu-us-mi] West Michigan Release Party
Ben Rousch
2010-04-13 13:11:19 UTC
I'm moving this to a new thread. Let's get the west side party planned!
Does that mean we should have two release parties?? What do we mean by
West
side? Dearborn or Ann Arbor?
The west side of the state; more specifically the Grand Rapids/Holland
area. It's been kind of hectic for me the last couple of weeks, but I
guarantee we will have some sort of release party over here.
I could potentially attend or host something (Zeeland) on Friday the 30th.
-mm
--
OK, let's go for Friday. While I was on vacation, I think people
recommended Founders or New Holland Breweries. I haven't been to

I'm leaning toward Holland since I think we have a few interested
people there who don't regularly make it to the Grand Rapids LUG. Also
they're working on I-196 in Grand Rapids and it is playing hell with
traffic.
--
Ben Rousch
brousch at gmail.com
http://ishmilok.blogspot.com/
Andrew Dunn
2010-04-13 13:15:23 UTC
I would suggest hopcat, they dont have large group seating but there is a
second level with a bunch of plush couches and laptop level tables. They
have worked will with medium sized groups I have taken there, might give
them a call and tell them what you want to do, they could likely rope off
the upper area for you.

Just can smoke cigars during your install :D
brousch at gmail.com
http://ishmilok.blogspot.com/
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
brousch at gmail.com
http://ishmilok.blogspot.com/
HopCat would also probably work. Plus, we could sit on their patio. I
would imagine that will be pretty busy as well.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
?brousch at gmail.com
?http://ishmilok.blogspot.com/
Andrew Dunn
2010-04-13 13:26:30 UTC
Oh wow. I miss-typed earlier, meant to say you _can't_ smoke cigars during
the install (no cigars in upper room) but it looks like this may be the one
day forever that you can do that.

I personally wouldnt want to be blowing smoke all over everyone and their
machines during a shiney new install.
On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 8:07 AM, Ben Rousch <brousch at gmail.com>
brousch at gmail.com
http://ishmilok.blogspot.com/
HopCat would also probably work. Plus, we could sit on their patio. I
would imagine that will be pretty busy as well.
"4/30/2010 Smoke 'em if ya got 'em
The smoking ban has finally come to Michigan. Help us say vaya con
dios to cigs with an official Wake for the habit at HopCat. We'll be
featuring a Eulogy delivered by the Good Doctor Reverend Boyd on the
deck at sunset, smoked meats, cheeses and beers, and special
commemorative matches, lighters, ashtrays, etc."
It sounds like it might be a very stinky day there.
--
Ben Rousch
brousch at gmail.com
http://ishmilok.blogspot.com/
I wouldn't want to invalidate the warranty on my MacBook. Wait...
Ben Rousch
2010-04-13 17:49:37 UTC
I have added an official West Michigan Lucid Release Party event to
the Ubuntu Michigan LoCo Directory (whew, that's a mouthful). If you
think you'll attend, please register there so we can get an idea of
attendance.
--
Ben Rousch
brousch at gmail.com
http://ishmilok.blogspot.com/
Greg Grossmeier
2010-04-13 20:35:42 UTC
<quoting name="Ben Rousch" date="2010-04-13" time="13:49:37 -0400">
If you think you'll attend, please register there so we can get an idea
of attendance.
Here's the URL for those that want it:
http://loco.ubuntu.com/events/team/84/detail/
--
| Greg Grossmeier |
| http://grossmeier.net |
Jonathan Jesse
Both Hopcat and Founders are crazy on Friday nights.... Someplace a bit
quieter maybe? And with good internet connection?
-------------- next part --------------
Post by Jonathan Jesse
Both Hopcat and Founders are crazy on Friday nights.... Someplace a bit
quieter maybe?? And with good internet connection?
I'm still open for suggestions!
--
Ben Rousch
http://ishmilok.blogspot.com/
Steve Romanow
brousch at gmail.com
http://ishmilok.blogspot.com/
Sent from my mobile device
Clay Ashby
2010-04-16 13:41:31 UTC
If nothing else, and beer isn't required, we could do it at JP's, It's a
coffee shop across the street from Holland brewery
brousch at gmail.com
http://ishmilok.blogspot.com/
Sent from my mobile device
-- "technologically promiscuous"
-------------- next part --------------
Post by Clay Ashby
If nothing else, and beer isn't required, we could do it at JP's, It's a
coffee shop across the street from Holland brewery
That's true - we could have the release party over coffee instead of
beer. Would anyone else like to nominate a favorite coffee house?
On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 11:07 PM, Steve Romanow <slestak989 at gmail.com>
? brousch at gmail.com
? http://ishmilok.blogspot.com/
Sent from my mobile device
http://ishmilok.blogspot.com/
Steve Romanow
brousch at gmail.com
http://ishmilok.blogspot.com/
Sent from my mobile device
Kava House, 60th. Biggby, any. Kava house is bigger and has more choices.
Steve Romanow
brousch at gmail.com
http://ishmilok.blogspot.com/
Sent from my mobile device
I have a contact there if you want me to check on anything.
Clay Ashby
2010-04-21 02:26:59 UTC
Any more ideas here? I'm bringing a few friends and would like to get things
planned. Someone should probably just say were it's going to be, or we will
end up speculating until Friday morning :)
Post by Clay Ashby
Post by Ben Rousch
brousch at gmail.com
http://ishmilok.blogspot.com/
Post by Clay Ashby
Any more ideas here? I'm bringing a few friends and would like to get things
planned. Someone should probably just say were it's going to be, or we will
end up speculating until Friday morning :)
You're absolutely right, and I apologize for the delay. I've been
waffling over locations.

I've decided to patronize my favorite coffee shop, which is
approximately equally inconveniently located for everyone. They have
about two dozen seats across about 10 tables, and can arrange for a
few more if we need it. I've talked to the proprietor and she says it
shouldn't be very busy during the time frame I've chosen.

So without further ado, here are the details:

When: Friday, April 30, 2010 from 7PM - 9PM
Where: Cafe 24/7 (formerly known as Noshville), 2763 44th St SW,
Wyoming, MI 49519

It is a coffee shop across from Buffalo Wild Wings on 44th Street.
There are a few restaurants (BWW and Skinnies) nearby if anyone wants
to eat beforehand.

I will bring USB installers for Ubuntu Desktop i386, AMD64, and
Netbook Remix. If anyone wants some other flavor (Kubuntu, Xubuntu,
etc), let me know beforehand and I'll try to include it.

If you plan on coming, please sign up on the release party page so I
have some idea of how many people will be there.

I will send out an announcement over the GRLUG mailing list later today.

Cafe 24/7 Web Page: http://www.cafe24seven.com/
West Michigan Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx Release Party Page:
http://ishmilok.blogspot.com/
Clay Ashby

brousch at gmail.com
http://ishmilok.blogspot.com/
brousch at gmail.com
http://ishmilok.blogspot.com/
Sadly, something just came up and I won't be able to make it.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 8:29 AM, Clay Ashby <kingpoiuy at gmail.com
On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 8:12 AM, Ben Rousch <brousch at gmail.com
brousch at gmail.com <mailto:brousch at gmail.com>
http://ishmilok.blogspot.com/
Sadly, something just came up and I won't be able to make it.
Matt if is it an option that i could ride with you to this release
party since the government will not let me drive(long story but
suffice it to say it is not a drunk driving) i would really use a
ride, and even trunk space would be ok ;-) i have not car and this
would really mean a lot to me. Thank you.

- --
Marc Zuverink <mzuverink at gmail.com>

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being
overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and
sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the
privilege of owning yourself. - Nietzsche
Matt Michielsen
2010-04-22 15:08:00 UTC
I would be willing to pick you up, but I'll instead be in Muskegon for a
different (not even remotely linux-releated) event.

-mm
-------------- next part --------------
I would be willing to pick you up, but I'll instead be in Muskegon for a
different (not even remotely linux-releated) event.
-mm
So, now I most likely will be able to attend. And pick you up, Marc. Do
you still live in the same place?

-mm
brousch at gmail.com
http://ishmilok.blogspot.com/
I think both of those locations get fairly loud on Friday nights. New
Holland just revamped their seating though, and I haven't gotten a chance to
check it out. It seems like the newly re-done East side could be quieter.