[ubuntu-us-mi] Freezing Ubuntu
Gary Young
2009-07-18 17:32:36 UTC
I had installed Ubuntu on a friends computer a few weeks ago . Now it is
starting to freeze on him . I was wondering has any one experience this
before ? . If so what was the fix ? .
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
Post by Gary Young
I had installed Ubuntu on a friends computer a few weeks ago . Now it is
starting to freeze on him . I was wondering has any one experience this
before ? . If so what was the fix ? .
Start by checking for hardware problems. Dirt, loose cables, bad
memory (run memtest from the Grub menu at boot), loose cards, failing
hard drives (install smartmontools and run smartctl /dev/sda | less).
Traveler
2009-07-18 18:53:22 UTC
Hi Gary, I have the same problem, and it seems my mouse/keyboard will not unfreeze it. Usually happens after it has been on awhile with no activity. If I restart the computer it works fine.
I have not found a fix yet. No problem with XP doing the same as I have it set it up as a dual boot.

Kurt
From: Gary Young <gyoung9 at gmail.com>
Subject: [ubuntu-us-mi] Freezing Ubuntu
To: ubuntu-us-mi at lists.ubuntu.com
Date: Saturday, July 18, 2009, 1:32 PM
-----Inline Attachment Follows-----
Jeff Hanson
2009-07-18 20:12:30 UTC
Post by Traveler
Hi Gary, I have the same problem, and it seems my mouse/keyboard will not unfreeze it. Usually happens after it has been on awhile with no activity. If I restart the computer it works fine.
I have not found a fix yet. No problem with XP doing the same as I have it set it up as a dual boot.
That could indicate the screen saver or sleep/hibernate is causing the
problem. If it freezes again, try pinging it. From a terminal enter
"ping -c 5 <IP address>". If it doesn't respond then it has frozen.
See if the keyboard lights are blinking:
http://jhansonxi.blogspot.com/2007/12/keyboard-led-flashing-panic.html

If it does respond, then you can try logging in remotely with ssh
(assuming openssh-server is installed). Check the kernel messages
with dmesg and the X.org log file in /var/log.
Zach Frey
2009-07-18 19:37:00 UTC
It would help to know the version of Ubuntu and some information about the
computer type...

Thanks,
Zach
Post by Gary Young
I had installed Ubuntu on a friends computer a few weeks ago . Now it is
starting to freeze on him . I was wondering has any one experience this
before ? . If so what was the fix ? .
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
Thanks Jeff for the info. I will have to try it next time it happens.

Kurt
From: Jeff Hanson <jhansonxi at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [ubuntu-us-mi] Freezing Ubuntu
To: "Ubuntu Michigan Local Community Team" <ubuntu-us-mi at lists.ubuntu.com>
Date: Saturday, July 18, 2009, 4:12 PM
On Sat, Jul 18, 2009 at 2:53 PM,
Traveler<sgttutt2001 at yahoo.com>
Post by Traveler
I have not found a fix yet. No problem with XP doing
the same as I have it set it up as a dual boot.
That could indicate the screen saver or sleep/hibernate is
causing the
problem.? If it freezes again, try pinging it.?
From a terminal enter