[ubuntu-us-mi] MUG meeting sponsorship
Greg Grossmeier
2011-03-08 03:13:19 UTC
Hello there Team!

I have a bit of a proposal for everyone.

[tl;dr: We're going to sponsor a MUG meeting! Help us raise money by
donating to greg at grossmeier.net on Paypal!]

Background / About MUG
----------------------

As many of you may know, one of the best linux related groups in Michigan
is MUG, or Michigan!/usr/group (http://www.mug.org). They hold monthly
meetings in Southfield, Michigan. Many Ubuntu LoCo team members have been
attending MUG meetings for a long time and I highly recommend checking
them out if you have a chance. In fact their next meeting is tomorrow(!)
night, March 8th, where our own Craig Maloney (snapl on IRC) will be
presenting on how to create a podcast. As many of you know, Craig and
Rick Harding are the co-hosts of the awesome Lococast podcast
(http://lococast.net). And the Ubuntu Michigan LoCo/MUG intermingling
doesn't stop there. Many other LoCo members have presented in the past
include Jorge Castro, Rick, and myself.

MUG also brings in amazing out of town speakers and can do that because
they help pay the travel costs as much as possible. The room they use for
the meetings is also something they have to pay for each time. Thus, to
put on such great events with such great content requires some money.
This is why they have yearly membership dues of $35. I know that some
LoCo members are also paying MUG members.

The Proposal
------------

MUG has also recently started a new program where a business or group can
sponsor a meeting:
http://www.mug.org/twiki/bin/view/Mugwiki/CorpSponsorship

Basically, what this means is that we could, as a group, raise the $150
to sponsor a MUG meeting where we could then have an Ubuntu-themed
meeting and any member of the Michigan LoCo will be considered a full
member for 2011.

Really, the best part is contributing to the success of MUG and having an
Ubuntu-themed MUG meeting.

At last night's IRC meeting it was officially decided that we will
participate as a LoCo and sponsor a MUG meeting. This is where *YOU* come
in.

The How
-------

Lets raise that required $150 as fast as we can! I will be accepting
donations to my Paypal account (greg at grossmeier.net). When we hit $150
I'll send a note to this mailing list and let the MUG Board know.

Also, in case anyone has any reservations about giving money to me to
then give to MUG, I will log into my Paypal account for any LoCo member
who attends a MUG meeting and show the donation information.

The next part is the best: Our sponsored meeting.

Our Meeting
-----------

Craig, who is on the MUG Board, is looking into finding the best
available meeting for us to use as an Ubuntu-themed/LoCo-Sponsored
meeting. Since it'll be Ubuntu-themed we should have one or two great
Ubuntu-related talks. These can be anything from a how-to to a case study
of your use of Ubuntu in some really interesting situation (run 1000
Ubuntu servers in a cluster? Tell us about it!).

Let me or the list know if you have a topic that you would like to
present!

Questions?
----------

Let me know if you have any questions about this fundraiser or MUG in
general.

Thanks!

Greg
--
| Greg Grossmeier |
| http://grossmeier.net |
Rick Harding
2011-03-08 12:58:58 UTC
Post by Greg Grossmeier
Hello there Team!
I have a bit of a proposal for everyone.
[tl;dr: We're going to sponsor a MUG meeting! Help us raise money by
donating to greg at grossmeier.net on Paypal!]
Thanks for setting it up Greg. Donation on the way.

As for meeting topics, I know I'd be willing to present about Launchpad
PPA's and demonstrate how to find and use them to the group. I think that's
one of the best selling points of the Ubuntu distro world.

Rick
Greg Grossmeier
2011-04-04 02:29:58 UTC
= Update on the MUG meeting sponsorship =

WE ARE OVER 50% OF THE WAY THERE!
So keep the contributions coming!

Its easy: just send the contribution to my paypal account (using the
email address I sent this message from).

Whatever you can give, no matter how small, will get us closer to our
goal and let us have a great meeting focused on Ubuntu this summer!

To those of you who have already contributed: Thank you! What topic do
you want covered at our sponsored meeting? Do you want to talk?

To everyone else: What are you waiting for? :)

If you haven't been to MUG before, you're missing out. If you have, you
know that the group does really good things with the money. Help sustain
the work this great group does with a small contribution.

Details:
Regular Individual Membership: $35
Meeting Sponsorship (our goal): $150
Deadline: May 1st

Thanks for your support!

Greg

<quoting name="Greg Grossmeier" date="2011-03-07" time="22:13:19 -0500">
| http://grossmeier.net |
gib
2011-04-04 17:18:07 UTC
Oh, I missed mentioning this in the Ubuntu jam yesterday. Are you going to be at Mug 4/12?

| Greg Grossmeier |
| http://grossmeier.net |
???$75/Hr Job-25 Openings???
Part-Time job &#40;$20-$75/hr&#41;. Requirements: Home Internet Access
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/4d99fd82d02bf64d3cast01vuc