[ubuntu-us-mi] Mirror information for Ubuntu 9.10
Jorge O. Castro
2009-10-22 03:14:27 UTC
Hi everyone,

Right about now is when the official mirrors get overloaded so I
thought I would send out a PSA about mirrors in Michigan. Thanks to
MSU, Oakland University, Wayne State, and Michigan Tech we have fast
in-state mirrors connected to nice fat pipes:

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+mirror/ftp.egr.msu.edu-archive
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+mirror/lug.mtu.edu-archive
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+mirror/ubuntu.secs.oakland.edu-archive

You can either put those in your /etc/apt/sources.list (those pages
have the syntax) or use the GUI by going to
System->Administration->Software Sources-> and then picking "Other" in
the dropdown list and choosing your preferred mirror. Please note that
these would be for people who want to upgrade in place. Also for those
of you who are NOT going to upgrade and/or have lots of machines you
should still consider using a local mirror to get the load off the
main mirrors and have a more responsive experience.

For the actual CD images:

Wayne State: http://ftp.wayne.edu/linux_distributions/ubuntu/
Michigan Tech: http://lug.mtu.edu/ubuntu-releases/

and of course, bittorrent, which for most people will be the quickest
way to get the ISOs without hammering the mirrors for people who can't
use bittorrent. Full list o mirrors:
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+archivemirrors and
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+cdmirrors
--
Jorge Castro
jorge (at) ubuntu.com
Canonical Ltd.
Jay R. Wren
2009-10-22 14:41:49 UTC
I'm not exactly sure how the DNS round robin works for us.ubuntu.com,
but I've often avoided using one of these because they are sometimes
overloaded and slow, or had concurrent user limits or were just plain
down. Is there any thing available which would automatically tell my apt
to use all 4 mirrors and try the next one if/when one of them fails?

thanks
--
Jay
Robert Citek
2009-10-27 07:52:46 UTC
Post by Jorge O. Castro
Wayne State: http://ftp.wayne.edu/linux_distributions/ubuntu/
Michigan Tech: http://lug.mtu.edu/ubuntu-releases/
and of course, bittorrent, which for most people will be the quickest
way to get the ISOs without hammering the mirrors for people who can't
use bittorrent.
I haven't used Bittorrent in a while. In the past, I would fire up a
screen session, give one of the bittorrent clients a list of URLs (or
a folder with .torrent files), and then disconnect form the screen
session, letting the BT client download all the ISOs at the same time.
I don't recall the exact name of the client, but it was something
like btlaunchmany or btheadless.

Any recommendations on how to download multiple ISOs using a
bittorrent client that can be run in a screen session?

Regards,
- Robert
Greg Grossmeier
2009-10-27 12:19:19 UTC
<quoting name="Robert Citek" date="2009-10-27" time="03:52:46 -0400">
Post by Robert Citek
Any recommendations on how to download multiple ISOs using a
bittorrent client that can be run in a screen session?
Check out rtorrent [0], it is what I use on my server to download/share
Ubuntu ISOs on release day. Not flashy, not a resource hog, and CLI (thus
screen-able).

Best,

Greg

[0] http://libtorrent.rakshasa.no/
Jay R. Wren
2009-10-27 12:33:56 UTC
Post by Robert Citek
Any recommendations on how to download multiple ISOs using a
bittorrent client that can be run in a screen session?
Check out rtorrent [0], it is what I use on my server to download/share
Ubuntu ISOs on release day. Not flashy, not a resource hog, and CLI (thus
screen-able).
I also use rtorrent. One thing that many rtorrent new users have issues
with is rtorrent uses CTRL-S and CTRL-Q for some of its operations and
these are typically reserved as control flow characters. You may need to
disable XON/XOFF before using rtorrent. Use stty with the -ixon option
to turn it off.

Jay
Robert Citek
2009-10-27 13:38:25 UTC
Post by Robert Citek
Post by Jorge O. Castro
Wayne State: http://ftp.wayne.edu/linux_distributions/ubuntu/
Michigan Tech: http://lug.mtu.edu/ubuntu-releases/
and of course, bittorrent, which for most people will be the quickest
way to get the ISOs without hammering the mirrors for people who can't
use bittorrent.
Any recommendations on how to download multiple ISOs using a
bittorrent client that can be run in a screen session?
Thanks, Greg and Joe. I'll give rtorrent a try.

$ sudo apt-get install rtorrent

Regards,
- Robert
Robert Citek
2009-10-28 03:06:19 UTC
Thanks, Greg and Joe. ?I'll give rtorrent a try.
$ sudo apt-get install rtorrent
Here are my notes for getting all the ISOs:

# start a screen session
wget ftp://ftp.wayne.edu/linux_distributions/ubuntu/9.10/*.torrent
rtorrent *.torrent
# disconnect from screen session
# wait :)

The current torrents are for the RC ISOs But I imagine that will
change in a day or so.

Regards,
- Robert