No subject
b***@does.not.exist.com
2008-04-29 14:47:36 UTC
replacement for the init daemon."

Would it be fair then to say the first three parts in 'man boot' are
mostly unchanged?

Abreviated 'man boot':

Hardware-boot
OS Loader
Kernel Startup
Only then the kernel creates the first (user land) process which is
numbered 1. This process executes the program /sbin/init, passing any
parameters that weren't handled by the kernel already.

I'm guessing then that the third part needs to be modified to say
upstart instead of /sbin/init. If so, where is upstart?

$ man -k upstart
upstart: nothing appropriate.

Regards,
- Robert
http://upstart.ubuntu.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upstart
Can anyone recommend where I can find more information on how Ubuntu boots?
Ubuntu seems to do things a bit differently from other distros. 'man
boot' and 'man inittab' don't seem to accuratly describe what is
actually happening when Ubuntu boots.
Any pointers appreciated.
Regards,
- Robert