[ubuntu-us-mi] Knoppix-like recovery with Ubuntu?
Robert Citek
2014-09-05 05:11:30 UTC
Hello all,

A few nice features of Knoppix are that it has bash, fdisk/parted, LVM
utilities, and an ssh service. In this way I can boot to a live CD via a
limited KVM, start ssh, then ssh to the system to work on recovering a
broken Ubuntu server system with LVM.

I tried to do the same using the rescue mode on the server CD but without
success. Is there a way to do what I do with Knoppix, but using an Ubuntu
CD? Perhaps the alternate CD?

Regards,
- Robert
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
Post by Robert Citek
Hello all,
A few nice features of Knoppix are that it has bash, fdisk/parted, LVM
utilities, and an ssh service. In this way I can boot to a live CD via a
limited KVM, start ssh, then ssh to the system to work on recovering a
broken Ubuntu server system with LVM.
I tried to do the same using the rescue mode on the server CD but without
success. Is there a way to do what I do with Knoppix, but using an Ubuntu
CD? Perhaps the alternate CD?
I'd recommend using the cloud images.
They're pretty much perfect for this task.

download the ubuntu-14.04-server-cloudimg-amd64-disk1.img image from
http://cloud-images.ubuntu.com/releases/14.04/release/

Follow
http://ubuntu-smoser.blogspot.com/2013/02/using-ubuntu-cloud-images-without-cloud.html

You'll just want to also attach your other disks, and then log in and do
whatever you want.

(As an aside, you may want to just *start* from those imgaes in the future
and avoid installs entirely).

Scott
Post by Robert Citek
Regards,
- Robert
Robert Citek
2014-09-05 14:51:56 UTC
Thanks, Scott,

Here's what I normally do to install/repair an Ubuntu server:

1) download ISO image
2) burn CD or 'dd' to USB stick
3) boot from CD/USB stick
4) install/repair system
5) eject CD/USB stick
6) reboot into system

The above instructions also work in a VM (e.g. VirtualBox) where I
"attach" the ISO as a virtual CD-ROM.

Thinking I would try out the process in a VM before attempting this in
the data center, I downloaded the cloud image
(http://cloud-images.ubuntu.com/releases/14.04/release/ubuntu-14.04-server-cloudimg-amd64-disk1.img)
to my local system. However, when I attempt to use the image in a VM
as an attached CR-ROM, VirtualBox refuses to attach it. This is
understandable as it is not an ISO image, but a disk image. I was
able to attach it as a hard disk, but it would not boot. VBox
complained with "no bootable medium found."

Although the concept sounds intriguing, I think I'm missing the
step(s) on how to use this disk image to help me install or repair a
server.

Regards,
- Robert
Post by Scott Moser
Post by Robert Citek
[...]
Post by Robert Citek
Regards,
- Robert
Jeff Hanson
2014-09-05 19:00:42 UTC
The alternate CD will not work live. It only has BusyBox. It does not
contain an installed filesystem, only packages.
It is possible to boot a live CD from an ISO using Grub. There are various
how-tos on Ubuntu's web site.
I generally just boot the live CD with PXE over TFTP/NFS. Not easy to set
up but very easy to use once it is. I can boot about two dozen live ISOs
off my server. Useful for demonstrating the various GUIs.
For general-purpose data recovery I use Parted Magic which can PXE boot
over just TFTP.

On Fri, Sep 5, 2014 at 10:51 AM, Robert Citek <robert.citek at gmail.com>
Post by Robert Citek
Thanks, Scott,
1) download ISO image
2) burn CD or 'dd' to USB stick
3) boot from CD/USB stick
4) install/repair system
5) eject CD/USB stick
6) reboot into system
The above instructions also work in a VM (e.g. VirtualBox) where I
"attach" the ISO as a virtual CD-ROM.
Thinking I would try out the process in a VM before attempting this in
the data center, I downloaded the cloud image
(
http://cloud-images.ubuntu.com/releases/14.04/release/ubuntu-14.04-server-cloudimg-amd64-disk1.img
)
Post by Scott Moser
and avoid installs entirely).
Scott
Post by Robert Citek
Regards,
- Robert
Post by Robert Citek
[...]
You need to convert it to a "raw" image or a virtual box disk format.

https://gist.github.com/smoser/5364534

that 'img-convert' there should reasonably do it for you.
wget http://cloud-images.ubuntu.com/releases/14.04/release/ubuntu-14.04-server-cloudimg-amd64-disk1.img

sudo apt-get install qemu-utils virtualbox
img-convert original.img vdi vdi.img
Post by Scott Moser
Post by Robert Citek
[...]
Post by Robert Citek