[ubuntu-us-mi] ubuntu-us-mi expired from team
Robert James Clay
2015-11-30 05:50:55 UTC
Hello RJ Clay,
The membership of Ubuntu-Michigan (ubuntu-us-mi) in the Verified LoCo
Teams (locoteams-verified) team has expired.
<https://launchpad.net/~locoteams-verified>
Regards,
The Launchpad team
What exactly does that mean?

RJ CLay
Craig Maloney
2015-11-30 12:30:38 UTC
Post by Robert James Clay
Hello RJ Clay,
The membership of Ubuntu-Michigan (ubuntu-us-mi) in the Verified LoCo
Teams (locoteams-verified) team has expired.
<https://launchpad.net/~locoteams-verified>
Regards,
The Launchpad team
What exactly does that mean?
For the day-to-day running of the team? Not much.

The team went from verified status to unverified status. From a tangible
perspective it means no more optical media and conference packs until we
get back to a verified state (which doesn't mean much as most folks
don't use optical media to install Ubuntu any more, and we haven't had a
presence at a conference save Penguicon for a while now).

From a participation status it means we're in line with our current
level of participation, which is not a whole lot.

Not that becoming unverified is not a punishment or anything like that;
it's just a flag for teams that are maintaining a level of
participation. We haven't maintained that level so the verification
ended.

It's not hard to regain verified status, but this is more in-line with
where we're at.

Hope this answers the question but if not please feel free to email me
and we can discuss further.

Thanks!

--
Craig Maloney (***@decafbad.net) http://decafbad.net
"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard, grow big,
Wolfger
2015-12-01 12:27:54 UTC
I'm a little sad, but since I'm also uninvolved in Ubuntu lately... it is
what it is. My current participation amounts to cheerleading from the
sidelines.
Post by Craig Maloney
Post by Robert James Clay
Hello RJ Clay,
The membership of Ubuntu-Michigan (ubuntu-us-mi) in the Verified LoCo
Teams (locoteams-verified) team has expired.
<https://launchpad.net/~locoteams-verified>
Regards,
The Launchpad team
What exactly does that mean?
For the day-to-day running of the team? Not much.
The team went from verified status to unverified status. From a tangible
perspective it means no more optical media and conference packs until we
get back to a verified state (which doesn't mean much as most folks
don't use optical media to install Ubuntu any more, and we haven't had a
presence at a conference save Penguicon for a while now).
From a participation status it means we're in line with our current
level of participation, which is not a whole lot.
Not that becoming unverified is not a punishment or anything like that;
it's just a flag for teams that are maintaining a level of
participation. We haven't maintained that level so the verification
ended.
It's not hard to regain verified status, but this is more in-line with
where we're at.
Hope this answers the question but if not please feel free to email me
and we can discuss further.
Thanks!
--
"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard, grow big,
wear glasses if you need 'em." -- The Webb Wilder Credo
Wolfger

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons
Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/
Robert Citek
2015-12-01 16:51:55 UTC
Same here. Life and the real world have gotten in the way of any form
of LUG, conference, or LoCo participation.

Yet, I still run Ubuntu every day, starting up and tearing down
several VMs, or cloud instances, or Docker containers of Ubuntu. And
for those, I don't need physical media (e.g. CDs or USB sticks). I
use pre-built images and then customize from there.

Back in the day when I ran Ubuntu on my servers, on my desktops, and
on my laptops, LoCos and LUGs provided a way to get media and help
with installs/configurations. But today, with running Ubuntu in the
cloud and help just a Google search away, a geography-based LoCo seems
less meaningful. If my Ubuntu instance is running in San Francisco,
CA, and I am connected to it while on a flight from Portland, OR, to
Atlanta, GA, what LoCo should I be a member of? Or should I be a
member of all LoCos in the USA?

But that's just my perspective and I reserve the right to be
completely misguided.

Regards,
- Robert
Post by Craig Maloney
Post by Robert James Clay
Hello RJ Clay,
The membership of Ubuntu-Michigan (ubuntu-us-mi) in the Verified LoCo
Teams (locoteams-verified) team has expired.
<https://launchpad.net/~locoteams-verified>
Regards,
The Launchpad team
What exactly does that mean?
For the day-to-day running of the team? Not much.
The team went from verified status to unverified status. From a tangible
perspective it means no more optical media and conference packs until we
get back to a verified state (which doesn't mean much as most folks
don't use optical media to install Ubuntu any more, and we haven't had a
presence at a conference save Penguicon for a while now).
From a participation status it means we're in line with our current